Do you have a ticket for the Lufthansa Group flight? Your flight has been cancelled because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you can’t get on the plane or you don’t know if your travel will eventuate? Check how you can change the date or the route of your travel without additional costs, as well as get a special 50 euro bonus.
Which airlines do this article regard?
The new policy of flexible changes in the tickets regards airlines in the Lufthansa Group:
- Air Dolomiti
- Austrian Airlines
- Brussels Airlines
The policy of flexible changes in the Lufthansa Group tickets
Due to the significant number of cancelled flights and new restrictions on travelling introduced by the governments of various countries, Lufthansa created a new policy of changes in the tickets. All passengers who bought tickets no later than on 19.04.2020, but did not take the trip or have tickets for flights further in the future, can modify them without additional costs until 31.08.2020. Also, they may receive a bonus in the amount of 50 euros!
Said policy concerns people whose flights have been cancelled, as well as those who cancelled flights on their own after 20.03.2020.
Change or refund?
Lufthansa Group airlines allow making changes in the ticket (rescheduling for another date or choosing a new destination), as well as getting a refund for the unused tickets. However, the carrier points out that in the current situation the refunds requested by the passengers will be processed at a later time. The Lufthansa Group did not specify the possible dates of when the refunds will happen.
Attention! Remember that the possibility to get a refund always depends on the airline policy, selected tariff and the circumstances. In case the flight you will not show up for will take place according to schedule, the request for a refund might be rejected by the airline.
What does Lufthansa give?
Lufthansa Group allows change of:
- the date of the travel (for departure no later than on 31.12.2020),
- the route of the travel.
Additionally, the airline gives a 50 euro bonus that will cover the difference in the price of the tickets or, if the new ticket is cheaper than the one initially bought, the difference up to 50 euros will be returned to the passenger’s bank account.
There is also a possibility to reschedule the travel for a time between 01.01.2021 and 30.04.2021, however, in this situation, the passenger is not entitled to the 50 euro bonus
Lufthansa Group gives you until 31.08.2020 to make a decision whether you want to use the new policy.
Remember! The bonus applies to each passenger in the booking, not to the whole booking. For example, if the booking for a flight from Warsaw to New York consists of tickets for two people, each one of them will get the 50 euro bonus.
Attention! When it comes to domestic flights in Germany, the travel route can be changed only to another domestic flight (there is no possibility to change to international flight). In case you have an international ticket, you can’t change it to a domestic flight in Germany.
How does it look in practice?
How does using the 50 euro bonus looks in practice:
- If the cost of the new ticket is higher than the one initially bought by more than 50 euros: the passenger will pay the difference reduced by 50 euros.
- If the cost of the new ticket is higher than the one initially bought by less than 50 euros: the passenger doesn’t have to pay anything, the difference will be covered by the bonus, and the unused bonus funds will be returned to passenger’s bank account.
- If the cost of the new ticket is lower than the one initially bought by less than 50 euros: the bonus equivalent will be transferred to the passenger’s bank account.
- If the cost of the new ticket is lower than the one initially bought by more than 50 euros: the bonus equivalent will be transferred to the passenger’s bank account, the remaining difference in price will not be paid out.
- If the price of the new ticket and the one initially bought is the same: the bonus equivalent will be transferred to the passenger’s bank account.
- If the price of the new ticket and the one initially bought is lower than 50 euros: the passenger is not entitled to the bonus.
- if the passenger decides to change the travel date for a later time (between 01.01.2021 and 30.04.2021), the passenger is not entitled to the 50 euro bonus.
Attention! The cost of the ticket does not include taxes and airport charges.
When can you use the new policy of changes?
Lufthansa Group airlines (Air Dolomiti, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Edelweiss Air, Eurowings, Lufthansa, Swiss) allow making changes in the tickets with a 50 euro bonus people who:
- have a ticket for a flight that has not yet been cancelled or rescheduled for another date (example: Lufthansa ticket for a flight from Warsaw to Lisbon scheduled for 31.08.2020)
- have a ticket for a flight that has been cancelled or rescheduled for another date (example: ticket for a flight from Warsaw to Rome scheduled for 15.04.2020 which has been cancelled, example 2: ticket for a flight from Katowice to New York scheduled for 05.04.2020 which has been rescheduled for 20.04.2020).
- have a ticket for a flight that already took place after 20.03.2020, but because of the safety reasons decided not to go (example: ticket for a flight from Frankfurt to Lisbon which took place according to schedule on 22.03.2020).
The policy of changes includes round trip tickets, as well as one-way tickets!
I want to reschedule my flight for another date. How can I do that?
If you have a ticket for a flight with Lufthansa Group airline, you will receive an e-mail from eSky with a notification about the new policy and a link to the form which you can use to request a need to change your ticket.
You can use the link below as well:
Attention! If you are still wondering what type of changes you want to make in your ticket or you want to see how will the current situation unfold, you don’t have to hurry. You can make changes with the bonus in Lufthansa Group until 31.08.2020.
Changes in the dates or route of the travel, as well as the rules of receiving the bonus, mentioned above, were defined based on the applied procedures and conditions of the refund established by the subjects in the Lufthansa Group, and they regard tickets with the travel date up to and including 30.04.2021. Hereby we inform you that any claims resulting from the use of the special bonus will be considered in accordance with the rules set by each one of the carriers.